Monday, May 21, 2007

Decisions, Decisions

No one can argue that the loss of a 16-year-old kid is a horrible tragedy. Terence Winn was shot and killed over an argument at McDonald's on May 13. Covering his funeral services at Southern university-Shreveport, I came back with several touching shots of family members. The problem was in deciding WHICH shot to use as the dominant art. Who's emotion best told the story?...Mother? Father (below, clutching a football signed by his son's teammates)? Sister (above)? I doubt that I would have had a problem with any decision that was made, but we used all of the photos and used a photo of Marietta Dotson giving a thumbs up to her son as his casket was loaded into a hearse as the dominant art on the page.

2 comments:

Anonymous 6/04/2007 11:56 AM  

What touching emotions! It's something that is so close to home (the loss of a loved one). You must have been to many funerals to be so at ease behind the camera here.

Greg Pearson 6/04/2007 12:28 PM  

I dont know if I EVER get used to funerals...but I know what I'm required to do. You stick out like a sore thumb at times like this, but it's my job.

Blog Archive


Contact The Times photo department by email

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP