Thursday, June 21, 2007

A Little Bit of Learnin'



Usually when we shoot a photo essay we get an assignment from an editor, or we assign ourselves. But this summer I am having a bit of a hard time getting started. So here is a round about way to decide on a photo essay topic, but lets give it a try and see how it works.

Last year I did an instructional photo essay of sorts on how to convert your DSLR to a pinhole camera. We got a good bit of response from it and now I am looking for for a new topic. So instead of choosing for you, I want you to tell me what technique you want me to use. A Reader Assignment so to speak.

Is it infrared film? Is it Holga photography? The Lensbabies?

Look around of some of the niche' techniques out there and let me know. Come on now... We see the traffic on this website... there are a lot of you out there, so let's hear some feedback!

5 comments:

Anonymous 6/21/2007 2:17 PM  

I once saw some of Mike Silva's wild frozen/manipulated Polaroid work and I have since wondered how to do what he'd done to create such strange images...any interest? That may be a little far out for most folks, I dunno...

Unknown 6/21/2007 8:18 PM  

Tilt-shift miniature faking and you owe me a sniff. Debbie said so.

Shane Bevel 6/22/2007 1:34 PM  

Hmmm.... I'm not really sure what that means.... hA!

Tour de Shreveport 6/24/2007 10:20 AM  

You'll have to teach us more about the tilt-shift miniature faking...I'm thinking great crowd shots at the upcoming 4th of July celebration on the riverfront. The sniff (taken out of context or even in the context of a Quentin Tarantino movie that could be wrong...)... apparently you were smelling pretty good the night of the SRAC TNT Trolley Tours... Deb told me to stand next to you and breath deeply... alas you scooted off before I could protrude my nostrils into your personal space...

Stephen Smith 6/27/2007 6:48 PM  

Shazam!
Shane. The fake miniatures with lensbabies thing sounds promising. I "second" or "third" that one.

Also, I've been reading "Strobist" blog from time to time. If you wanted to do a 2-flash or off-camera strobe tutorial, that would be cool. I played around with an umbrella and master-slave setup with really crummy results.

Steve

Blog Archive


Contact The Times photo department by email

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP