Friday, May 11, 2007

Sleep Illustration



I was recently asked to work on an illustration for a Teen Times story focused on teens not getting enough sleep for a variety of reasons. I used a student from Southwood High School who came into the studio for a photo that I would be able to use in the illustration, senior Ashley Mancil.

I started out by making a solid black image in photoshop. I then used various levels of opacity on the brush tool (in dissolve mode) to drag across the black to attempt to create a sky full of stars. After using this method I also used the brush tool at various sizes to spot the sky with larger "stars" and planets and tried to make some of the stars glare.

Next I added a new layer of Ashley that I took in our studio and inversed the photo.

I then added a two different layers of clouds that I shot on my way home from an assignment several years ago to give the sky some depth. The opacity of these two layers ended up being quite low so the clouds would be translucent.

The next step was to add the moon, a new layer taken from a shot I made two years ago at Summer Grove Baptist church in Shreveport.

The final step was to flatten the images and make put a little radial blur on the edges.

It probably took about 2 hours total work from start to finish (between other daily assignments over two days. After working on an illustration for a while I find it good to walk away from the project for a little while every so often, otherwise I find myself sitting and working on my illustrations for hours...............at some point you just have to say "I'm done and move on to the next one."

"I'm done."

4 comments:

Anonymous 5/11/2007 5:30 PM  

Thanks for the Photoshop lesson! Fun to read and fun to keep looking back and forth to the final image to see where the parts go together. Thanks again...

Neil Johnson

Unknown 5/13/2007 1:45 PM  

Quite interesting. Your process made me think of this question: how do you keep up with all these shots so you can go back to them when you need them? Do you have any good tips on organizing?

Hud 5/15/2007 8:28 AM  

Kathryn,

I keep a folder on my computer with various photos, techniques and ideas that I want to remember so that I could use them on future illustrations. The photo with the moon is actually a background photo on my computer that has never been published.
I wouldn't call the folder organized but it works for me....

Hud

Robert E Trudeau 5/16/2007 8:08 PM  

Ice cold work, Jim.

Blog Archive


Contact The Times photo department by email

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP