Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Let's All Go To The Shooting...




The phone rang an hour after my shift ended. It was Times crime reporter Adam Causey informing me there had been an officer-involved shooting at Linwood Ave. and W. 77th Street in Shreveport. So I packed up the gear and headed out the door. The scene when I arrived was about what I expected, people everywhere, cops as far as the eye can see, enough media to choke Kacee Hargrave.

Now I admit when I was young I lived a pretty middle-class life. We rode our bikes all over town and really never worried about the dangers people think about today. But it never ceases to amaze me the number of people who allow their kids to go to crime scenes. Or worse yet... take them.

Now this parent was not the only one who came to check out the excitement on Linwood tonight. She is just the one I happened to photograph. But really... what are people thinking? Why would you bring a child to the scene of a violent crime? What possible benefit could they gain from it?

I have grown to appreciate and accept many different cultures since I started working as a journalist. Our work spans gaps in the city that most will never cross, but the culture of violence that seems to be expanding in many cities is one I will never understand.

3 comments:

Anonymous 4/04/2007 8:37 AM  

It's not EXPANDING...you''re just more exposed to it. People expose their kids to things that go on in their own homes...why should a crime scene be different.

Unknown 4/04/2007 9:14 AM  

There is a story about a woman getting fatally shot at the CNN Atlanta Complex. If you follow this link the story is there. At the bottom of the page there is a picture of a reporter interviewing what looks like a Mother and her young daughter.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070403/D8O9DE4O1.html

Is it a case of parents bringing kids to violent happenings or violence happening when a parent and child are in the area?

Shane Bevel 4/04/2007 7:22 PM  

Kathryn, I understand your point... but what are people doing in the parking lot of a shopping center at 11 pm on Linwood Ave?

Blog Archive


Contact The Times photo department by email

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP