Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Yes, We Know How, but......

I was talking to a studio portrait photographer the other day about PhotoShop capabilities and the ability to manipulate images. It became obvious that many people do not realize that we, most times, do not have the luxury of applying PhotoShop actions to blur parts of an image, convert to warm sepia tones, add a cross-processed look, and so on. That certainly doesnt mean we dont know a good photograph when we see one or that we dont know HOW to make such manipulations. I'm not going to debate the merits of using PhotoShop versus using lenses and general photographic know-how to get desired effects...in my opinion, the end result is all that matters, and I dont really care how you got there if what you offer up is pleasing to the eye. I love what PhotoShop offers, and while I may understand how to get some of the desired effects through straight photography, I also dont have the funds to buy a lot of equipment needed. So PhotoShop makes a nice substitute. Infrared film is expensive. That f1.8 lens is expensive. Panoramic cameras, 3D cameras, toy cameras, funky lenses, giant Polaroid cameras.......cant afford any of it. But I got PhotoShop. Case in Point...I took this photograph on assignment at a debutante ball. It's a nice, interesting "found" moment away from the actual event. But with some PhotoShop ingenuity I can create something really striking.Most times there is no occasion to use something like this in the paper, but occasionally we're called on to create computer illustrations...and the sky's the limit.

2 comments:

Unknown 4/06/2007 1:30 PM  

She looks magical. Like she's a little ceramic bride on her way to climb to the top of a four tier wedding cake.

Greg Pearson 4/06/2007 3:30 PM  

ok...that's a little more surreal and magical than I envisioned...no...I mean that's exactly what I was thinking. So maybe my outlook on it is a little more technical, but thanks for the comment...it's nice to hear what others think when they look at my images.

Blog Archive


Contact The Times photo department by email

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP