Friday, March 16, 2007

Stumped in the Studio

I love doing sports portraits. The sports department loves to ask me to do them. I've put prep athletes on cereal boxes, put them on trading cards, made them into action figures. But this time around I was stumped for something really creative, and frankly didnt have a whole lot of time to think it over. Plans to take them to Independence Stadium were squashed. I was a bit lazy and my hand was also forced, and I was reduced to having the kids come into the studio. Sometimes a good thing, other times you feel limited by monochromatic backgrounds and four walls. This time I settled for nice, simple and well-lit photos of this year's soccer coaches and players of the year. No major bells and whistles. I think they look pretty nice. I like to gauge these by thinking to myself that if these were pro athletes, how would the images look in poster-size on some kid's bedroom wall? I can envision the Nike Swoosh up in the corner!
(All-city soccer Player of the Year - Eric Johnson, Caddo Magnet High School)

3 comments:

Anonymous 3/18/2007 8:59 AM  

I love this picture! I would have been thrilled to have my picture taken in my highschool soccer jersey just like this! I guarantee that the kids loved it! Great job, I think it looks just as creative as all of your other material. You are the bomb!

Anonymous 3/19/2007 10:05 AM  

The way the photo was taken (body shot)it made it immediately look like a pro athlete - arms folded, serious look on face along with the shadows featured in the face. The head shot, then gets closer, and in the eyes you see youth but looking at the chin and mouth area it appears as though he is a young person about to his puberty.

Greg Pearson 3/19/2007 10:20 AM  

Most of the high school kids are in the "too cool to smile" phase and they've seen so many posters and trading cards amd ads where the athlete is looking all serious, so they tend to mimic that look. Personally, I like when athletes like Peyton Manning can have a little fun at their own expense!

Blog Archive


Contact The Times photo department by email

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP