Sunday, August 19, 2007

Too Easy?

August is here, and with it comes football mugs. We have to shoot headshots of every kid on every area team for prepsbeat.com, our high school football website. Though time consuming, it is simple enough. You go to a school, set up your lights, put a piece of tape on the ground for the players to stand on, have them write their first and last name on a sheet of paper and have them hold it up in front of them while you take the shot. Easy, right? Not exactly...

The same things came out of my mouth at every school. Stand on the tape. No, the tape. Move your fingers. Your fingers! I can't read your name. What does that say? There is no way that that is a J, it is upside down if it is. Write it over again. Pick your head up straight. Don't walk in front of the camera. Hold the sign lower, you're covering up your face. No, no, too low. Hold it in front of your chest. There you go. Come back here, I'm taking two shots. Face me. Turn your sign over, it is upside down. Quit sticking your tongue out. Move to your left. Move to your right. Do you think that tape is there for fun? No, you don't have to smile. Yes, you have to write your name down. You may be on your way to a lucrative NFL career, but you aren't quite there yet, killer. Yep, I need your last name, too. Yes, that is an umbrella. No, don't touch it. Yes, I know the light is technically pointed away from you. I said, don't touch it!

Ugh.

Thank goodness all the teams are done now and I won't have to go through that again. Til basketball season.

2 comments:

mel 8/20/2007 12:49 PM  

Hah! I love it, Val. And suddenly, I miss football headshots...

Greg Pearson 8/21/2007 6:30 PM  

I have already come up with this year's rankings for the area's high school football. Forget stats. Nevermind size or number of seniors. I can gauge how good or bad teams will do simply based on whether or not they can follow simple directions for a photograph. Special thanks to the coaches who can get a 50-man roster to follow instructions and be done in minutes. Those teams will do well. I mean, how are they going to run intricate plays if they cant write your name and stand on the X? Other teams...well...lots of work ahead.

Blog Archive


Contact The Times photo department by email

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP