Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Hush Little baby

My wife always says that no matter what function we're at, if you cant find me, go look for the kids and that's where I'll be. I just seem to get along with little people. Shooting a story about teen pregnancy at Christus Schumpert, this little fellow took one look at me and immediately took to me. I'm sure I must have looked like someone he knew because he started following me around and eventually grabbed my pants and looked up at me with that international look of "pick me up"...so I did. Jamaria Black is a cute little devil, but when I went to put him down, he was having none of that. Tears began to flow and being the softie that I am, I picked him right back up. Careworkers told me that most times he cries nonstop when picked up, so I must have had the Midas touch. The next 15 minutes went just like this. Pick him up, put him down. Crying. Pick him up, distract him with a toy, put him down. More crying. I was already done shooting and I love the kiddies, so it really wasnt a problem...or so I thought. The one shot I was looking for but had been unable to get was unfolding in front of me, and little Jamaria was all over me. All of the shots of the kids didnt have any of the teen mothers in them because they were in another room for a presentation, and finally one of the mothers had come in to check on her child and try to calm her down. Jamaria wasnt about to leave me to my work, so I just sat him on my lap and got a few images of mom feeding baby. We were finally able to distract Jamaria long enough for me to sneak out the door. I hope he wasnt too upset.

1 comments:

Anonymous 8/21/2007 10:47 PM  

Awwwww, he is just a cutie! You do awesome work!

Blog Archive


Contact The Times photo department by email

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP