Monday, March 5, 2007

Are we gonna be on TV?

It happens a lot when I’m on assignment. A lot. When I covered the Krewe of Centaur parade in Shreve City this year, I knew it would only be a matter of time. I walked in front of the barricades, pointed my camera at some college kids and paused. Then it came. “Hey, lady! What TV station are we going to be on?”

Yes, my camera is big (and yes, incidentally, its digital!), but it doesn’t resemble a video camera at all. I repeatedly push a button that causes it to make noticeably loud clicking noises. I routinely change lenses. I don’t shove it in people’s faces and ask them a series of questions. I don’t ask them to pose for me. I don’t carry a microphone and I certainly don’t drive around in a van with a number painted obscenely large on the side. I work for the NEWSPAPER.

So what gives? Why do otherwise intelligent people of all ages and backgrounds ask me that question all the time? Normally I’m patient with folks, especially those who are interested enough in photography and my job to even talk to me. I do what I can to help them out and tell them what they need to know. But as for that question, I just don’t get it! Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Anonymous 3/05/2007 1:02 PM  

Everybody wants to be a TV star!

Unknown 3/08/2007 3:56 PM  

Hilarious! :) I only have an XT, but since I have a big lens on it, and now a battery grip, I always get crazy questions like "are you with the paper?" or "what magazine are you shooting for?" But for people to think it's a video camera.... ummmm... haha that's funny!

Blog Archive


Contact The Times photo department by email

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP